From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:45:52 -0800
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Allen Dick wrote:
............>
> Maybe a similar system would work for these bees?  If not, maybe using 3/4" or
> 1/2" boards grooved top and bottom on a router and bound together with tape or
> through bolts would work?

I've used the "sandwich" system for several years for observation blocks.
My technique is to use a table saw to cut 5/16 in grooves in 1X6's and
then duct-tape plates of glass or plastic (plastic wrap does not work -
the bees chew it up) to the block on the sides and back.  During the
season the "sandwich" can be taken apart for inspection.  If you are
careful, you can even watch the bees working thru the glass.  The problem
with the glass is that it's hard to get a good seal to the wood and mites &
parasitoid wasps can sometimes work their way around to several cells.

One of the local mason bee guys told me that cleaning the coccoons and
just placing them loose in a box, as is done with leaf-cutters, does not
work real well for Osmia as they tend to fly away unless they are made to
work their way out of a hole.  I may try it, anyway, as it would be an
easy way to keep the bees clean of mites.  If anyone has some spare time
(yeah...right...) it would be interesting to mark bees released in this
way and just see what the return rate is.  I'm not aware of any published
research on this subject.

Another fruit-grower told me that the loose cells can be place in a paper
bag with the top folded over (to make the bees "work" to get out) has
worked well for her.

The use of reeds is a great idea -- if you happen to have reeds...

My latest "cheap" method that I'm using is to drill all the way thru
wooden blocks and make paper liners by wrapping strips of typing paper
(newspaper is not strong enough) around a 1/4 inch steel rod and inserting
into the hole.  When the paper is released, it springs open, filling the
hole.  The rod is then extracted.  By leaving one inch "tails" sticking
out the back, you can fold them all down and seal the back with a couple
layers of duct tape.  The bees seem to like these fine and seldom chew up
the paper.  When it comes time to store the pupae, the duct tape can be
removed and the tubes removed by pulling on the "tails".  These tubes are
easily opened for inspection and are "springy" enough so that they
re-close by themselves.  The tubes can be placed in a box or bag for
emergence and the blocks sterilized and reused.

cheers,
Dave Pehling
  | W.S.U. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION-SNOHOMISH CO. |
  | 600 128TH ST. S.E.                         |
  | EVERETT, WA.  98208  U.S.A.                |
  |   PHONE - (425)338-2400                    |
  |   FAX   - (425)338-3994                    |
  |   EMAIL  [log in to unmask]                   |