From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:20:24 -0800

> >Does anyone have any insights or comments?
>
>Are there similar studies from other countries?

DeRisi said that he's not yet sure that the viruses are bona fide bee
pathogens.

Re the crithia (trypanosomes), Jay Evans has also found high levels in CCD
colonies, but it does not appear that they are causal of collapse.

Re spiroplasms, I had asked Dr DeRisi about them some time ago, as they have
been linked to collapses in Europe, and I was curious why no one had
reported on them in the U.S.

Of greater interest to me is that DeRisi's data indicate that N apis is more
common in winter and early spring; N ceranae in late spring, and dominant
during summer.  There is also some question about why N ceranae genetic
material is so high in late summer, when spore counts peak in May.

Randy Oliver