From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:39:14 -0400
> jim, i'm curious what you think about the presence of coumaphos
> and fluvalinte in trapped pollen (found by the penn state team).

Where was this said?  I know that pollen samples were removed
from brood chambers as a part of the sample-collection protocol,
but this is the first I've heard of pollen traps being installed
on colonies as a part of the effort.

> this pollen was never in the brood chamber, and only has contact
> with field bees, and with nectar/honey used to pack the pollen
> into the pollen baskets.

I think that something was garbled by the writer to give you
the impression that "trapped pollen" was contaminated.  If
trapped pollen had even trace readings of miticides, something
would be very wrong with either the bees or the blooms being
foraged.  Either scenario is hard to even grasp, let alone accept.

Peter said:

> The CCD working group has not ruled out beekeeper pesticides
> as a contributing factor,

Let's resist attempts by small groups of researchers
to continue to imply a consensus that never existed,
and claim more credibility than their data deserves.

There really never was any "CCD Working Group".
It quickly became little more than "CCD Tag Team Wrestling".
The Penn State/USDA team stole all the samples last April,
and excluded all others from participation for all of
last summer in their rush to what they thought would be
fame and fortune, but turned out to be embarrassment
equal to that of Fleischmann and Pons, who claimed that
they had discovered "cold fusion" in the 1980s.

Right now, we have multiple teams, none which can claim to
represent any broader consensus.

And the fact that a group of researchers is STILL unwilling
to evaluate the data in front of them and take the bold step
of daring to at least "triage", and eliminate one or more
factors is a sign of either weak intellect or character.

Its been over a year.  We can eliminate miticides by now,
given the lack of data that might "convict" them.
Anyone who can't admit this is gutless or goldbricking.