From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:11:24 -0600
Hello Kim and All,
Kim wrote:
For those interested, Dr. Shilling's entire talk, complete with graphs (but
without the humor), will be published in the March issue of Bee Culture.

At the end of Dr. Shilling's talk at the ABF convention in Savannah Dr. Shilling offered to send a copy of his book to those which asked free of charge.   I believe Dave Hamilton of our list asked for a copy. Did you get yours yet Dave?   I received a copy of Dr. Shillings book *Deflation* today and was surprised to see the copy was signed by Dr. Shilling with  my name and "Best wishes".  The book sells for $16 plus shipping.

Also was a copy of his monthly newsletter *Insight* which costs higher for one month than one   of my bee magazine subscriptions for a year. Guess I will stick to my bee magazines.

 I plan to read Dr. Shillings book. In fact I am leaving to go out of state tomorrow to pick up bee equipment with my partner. He reads the list but too shy to comment. Maybe I will read Dr. Shilling's book to him while we cross country. Kidding Glenn !.

The book is 372 pages with 270 charts ( yes I counted the charts) and 29 chapters.
I believe in my own mind Dr. Shilling was trying help us understand what *might* lay ahead  for the beekeeping industry in his lecture and the possible solutions. . After all you need to UNDERSTAND a problem to solve a problem.

How many times have Bee-L people told people that they were beekeepers and  watched  the reaction?    I have actually had people ask me if I am crazy.  You can imagine how unpopular  beekeeping might seem to people which might buy Dr. Shillings book. yet read the last sentence from *about the author* from the book.

Below is from *about the author*
Dr. Shilling is on the Board of Directors of National Life of Vermont, the heartland Group of mutual funds, the American productivity and Quality Center, Palm Harbor Homes, the Episcopal Evangelism Foundation of which he is the chairman; and advisory director of  Austin Trust Company ; a trustee and the Treasurer of the General Theological Seminary ; and a Chairman of the New jersey State Revenue forecasting Advisory Commission.  HE IS ALSO AN AVID BEEKEEPER

Many people might have chosen to add the last sentence but Dr. Shilling did not.

As far as predicting. The book credits Dr. Shilling as the first economist to forecast the demise of inflation with his book *Is inflation ending? Are you ready? Published by McGraw Hill in the spring of 1983. At that time few investors were prepared for what was to transpire. People's investments, businesses, and personal lives were geared to INFLATION LASTING FOREVER.

In short Dr. Shilling was an  excellent choice by Kim Flottum for the speaker for the first lecture of the *A.I.Root Lecture Series*.
Maybe Kim could post information for those wanting Dr. Shilling's book.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri