Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:50:07 -0500
> And also the * why now* when we never had to or *needed to * before.

Maybe we don't know, but we have been covering some of the reasons: Monoculture, loss wild margin land and fence lines, Weed sprays, mite predation, changes in plant varieties, greater demands on bees, multiple sets, feedlot beekeeping, new nosema, subtle possible subtle effects of neonicitiniods, obvious effects of fungicides, surfactants, beekeeper-applied chemicals, bad beekeeping, and someone even suggested that the protein levls in plants are dropping due to our favourite bogeyman: ClimateChange (tm).

> I usually feed maybe 4-5 in spring.

In a decent area, with no incentive to try to get unnaturally early build-up, that sounds about right to me.

>  1.50 a patty or 3.50 a gallon for syrup

Actually, consulting the web, I see that patties in that quantity are 93c each, delivered (or maybe even less if negotiated) and I know they can be made for somewhat less if you don't count the time, opportunity cost missed schedules and wastage.

Sugar is 48c in the US last I heard.  If a gallon of syrup uses 5 lbs (guessing), I get $2.50 for ~50/50 syrup.  More concentrated -- 67% -- would be a little more.

> Multiply the above cost of feed by some serious numbers of hives ( 10,000) and we are looking at serious money.

You can see why there is such a dogfight over the top of the patty mountain and scorn on price-cutters by the sellers.