From:
Denis Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:58:37 +0200
Dear Listmembers,
A colleague and I are compiling a paper reviewing parasitism or other interactions of velvet ants (Hymenoptera, Mutillidae) with eusocial insects. We have found a few references from the late 1800's and early 1900's to species of Mutilla (in Europe) and Dasymutilla (USA) entering honey bee hives, disrupting the activities there, and in one case even parasitizing the larvae or pupae.
As far as we can find, there have been no references since 1930. This is puzzling.
We would thus be extremely grateful for any comments from beekeepers or others working with honey bees. Has anyone observed any interactions between female velvet ants and honey bees?
In addition, mutillids are well known as parasites of bumble bees in Europe, but there are no credible records from the New World. Does anyone have any comment here?
Thanks.
Denis

Professor Denis J. Brothers
School of Botany and Zoology
(and Centre for Environment & Development)
University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg
Private Bag X01              Telephone: (+27) (0)33-260 5106
Scottsville                        Fax: (+27) (0)33-260 5105
3209 SOUTH AFRICA     e-mail: [log in to unmask]