From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:33:43 -0700
Bob writes:
The moving of hives when bees are flying  to lose the old
workers has little to do with varroa control but might add
some control in the broodless period but would not help
beekeepers in the area with their varroa control as those
bees might would find their way into those
hives.

Reply:
Think you are wrong here Bob, and we are talking now
strickly varroa control and what I am looking at is the
shortening of the life of your younger bees in hive you are
left with that then become the newer nurse bees, and you
have to use to make your turn of brood with, firing back
up, especially if done in a brood turning off period to
fire back up later for fall rearing of bees.

If done wrong this could end up with a blow out with the
summer lulls or loss of much strength and troubles
restarting back up.

The varroa here being not in mass on the older field bees,
but in mass maybe 90% on the nurse bees, and then dividing
the nurse bees to force many to go into foraging ahead of
schedule with mites then transferring to newer nurse bees
worsening them by being younger, and if very young you
should know that with X number of days of emergence and
growing up to duties if too many varroa transfer to bees
they can shorten the life fo the bees dramatically. And if
more are also available to go into any brood restarting up
in smaller patches then you got more then one going into a
cell which means 4 or more feeding on the brood prior to
emerging and that can be disasterous.

For trachael mite help maybe once in lungs you get rid of
doing this, but for varroa opposite is reality I think for
generating problems.

Bob continues:
The method is used to reduce the feed costs on hives after
a major honey flow and if done at certain times leave only
young bees for winter.

Reply:
Yes, but if you then force the yound bees to early on in
life carry a larger mite load, I would think within X
number of days the sucking of blood meal would have
detrimental effects on the longevity of the bees lives and
thus increase risks for hive collapse when you certainly
don't need it. With short lived summer bees this could
shorten lives to days and throw more mites into any first
turn start up for instant collaspe somehow my mind is
registering.

Bob continues:
Plenty of methods are used in commercial beekeeping which
are not written in the current bee books so those with
knowledge only obtained from those books are not aware of
those methods.

Reply:
Yes, Bob I know and this is why I am registering thoughts
differently then most and I think you know that, for I am
looking at what you are doing and knowing what is in the
books, and something is starting to beep beep in mind
saying, wait you are hurting and not helping doing this.
For if chemicals are playing out then it's the bees haveing
to contain and they will not be able to do so with this
routine in field anymore.........unless you got another
bullet which I think you do not.

Dee-