From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:15:20 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote of an experience where coating new equipment
with honey finally enticed a finicky swarm to move in.  The conclusion:
"Bottom Line-A light coat of honey works best, way better than sugar water."

Well, George Imirie, for whom I have the utmost respect, would type in all
caps "NO, NO, NO!"  And then I have no idea how he would write that you have
adopted a BAD practice based on what worked for you once.  You decided the
swarm stayed put because the queen finally produced enough pheremones to
keep the bees home after they cleaned up the honey you smeared around!?
POPPYCOCK!  The bees finally stayed put because the bees finally stayed put.
Period.  Any conclusions you make about smeared honey and queen pheremone
are YOUR conclusions, you have NO IDEA what the bees were "thinking".

If you want a swarm to stay put in a new box, include in the frames of
foundation, ONE FRAME OF BROOD!  I have never seen a swarm leave when baited
thusly.  NEVER!  If you don't have a frame of brood, then old combs are a
good enticement for a swarm to stay.  The Brits, for whom I have the utmost
respect, will mash up old comb and put them in a sack in the new equipment
where they want to keep a swarm.  They call it a "Swarm bob" or some such
thing (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I have it wrong).

Finally a warning: first off, the honey you smear may have AFB spores.  This
is why smearing honed is a BAD IDEA!  Be sure of the source.  Likewise you
have to be wary of the source of the frame of brood (if you use one), as you
do for the source of the comb if you are making a Swarm Bob.  Is this a plug
for beesource?

Aaron Morris - thinking Swarm Bob is not to be confused with Sponge Bob!

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up - now 2 months
FREE!