From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:51:11 -0400
Hello Randy & All,
I would hold out for a higher fee as most midwest beekeepers I have spoken
with ( I have been at a KHPA  beekeeper  meeting and just returned)
today & yesterday are not interested in California this year.
The ridiculas small hive beetle rules at the border remain in effect and
unlikely to change.
Small hive beetles are not a big issue with most Mid west beekeepers but
are kicking butt across the south.

Bees in areas of drought (according to Lyle Johnston 60% of all bees used
in almond pollination spend the summer in the Mid west) are in rough shape.

I doubt they will fully recover in time for 2007 almonds.
To sum things up we all could use the extra money but the risks are great.

1. Those with small hive beetle could get their loads turned as their own
fellow beekeepers put pressure on Carla Markman for tighter border control.

2. Sending weak and stressed hives is never a good idea and could be a
repeat of last year where many beekeepers not only did not make money but
lost money sending bees to California.

Drought and lack of a honey flow causes real stress on bees. Lyle Johnston
is saying the same thing in this months newsletter. I can post what he says
but sure you and Keith get his newsletter.

Bob