From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:17:04 -0500
I have a question that is not related to bees, but rather to beekeepers.  I
am curious if any research has been done on who becomes a beekeeper.  What
is the personality profile of a person who chooses to keep bees?

When vocational interest inventories are developed, they survey a particular
profession developing a profile of the person who is successful and happy in
that profession.
I would like to know if this has been done for the happy beekeeper.

Some are fascinated by golf; some by cars or politics.  Some people are
drawn to a stinging,
social insect, the honey bee.  Why?

Are we as a group more extroverted, eccentric, neurotic, or intelligent than
the population norm?  What describes us?  If beekeeping as a profession is
to succeed, we
need not only to save the bees, but to identify those who should be lured
into being involved.  Who would be good
contributors to Bee-L ten years from now (assuming Aaron is still up for
this)?  Any leads (or opinions) are welcome.

Larry Krengel