From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:24:36 -0400
 > Could we go into more detail as to why such high temperatures are
required to reuse jars (I'm thinking canning jars here) for honey?

170F is generally accepted as the temperature required to kill
bacteria.  I'm sure the law makes no distinction about what is placed in
the jars after cleaning so it's simply applied to all jars used for food
products.   Honey may be anti-bacterial in nature, but it's not
bacterial proof and spores can remain viable in it.   So regardless of
the reduced risk, I doubt they would make an exception for honey.

Be careful using new glass jars, even from a sealed box.  I have found
bits of glass in them once.      I saw a packing line once that as part
of their automated filling process, dumped the jars upside down just for
that reason.

-Tim