From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:45:25 -0600
Us young folks (I'm 29) are not
> afraid of the lifestyle. Its actually becoming more popular.

I would say for sure hobby & sideline are.

Commercial beekeeping takes a strong commitment. When the bees need tending
other commitments many times are passed over.

> However, getting the capital to start from scratch in tue agricultural
> world is almost if not impossible.

The economics of commercial beekeeping is not really very different than
other business pursuits. Cash flow is many times overlooked in business.

Allen Dick made the statement he would not recommend going deeply in debt to
get into commercial beekeeping today.

I agree except when needing cash flow to operate for a short period of time.
I have advised many beekeepers over the years. When bees need fed, meds,
treatments  or essentials you need to get the money as best you can.

Smart commercial beekeepers expand and contract as hives are needed. Drought
years you contract and expand when needed in good years.

resist buying junk equipment *unless* you can make your money back in a
season. Then you can afford to burn the junk and replace poor boxes.

> Over the last 3 years I have spent about $15k us dollars getting to just
> over 60 hives worth and expect to spend another 10k this year on a honey
> house.

Your hives need to be creating cash flow. Expanding for a future payday is
tough. With 60 hives you could sit your wifes car in the drive and rig up a
set up which can be used and then stored. I would forget trying to let her
use the kitchen as has been grounds for divorce before.

Seriously figure a way to get the honey into buckets or drums and get back
to beekeeping.
My calculator says $10,000 divided by 60 equals $167 a hive investment next
season.

Think making money. The Missouri state average is 50 pounds a hive. 60 times
50 pounds is 3000 pounds. Hobby & sideline all sell for at least $5-6 a
pound. ( Pcear says $12). 3000 pounds times $5 is $15000. hmmm?

> I'm selling nucs this year and will be the first time bringing in real
> money. But I still need to pay back my "wallet" for what I have spent.

Nucs are money makers but will keep you from expanding yourself. Why not put
the honey house off for a year and really make splits to sell and expand? No
need for a honey house. Maybe raise your own queens.

> I'm fortunate I have a great engineering job and a frugal wife and three
> kids who understand my passion.

Kids understand but wives do not always. (they do when the money is rolling
in but not when things go south)

> But it would take more money than any bank would loan me to go commercial
> these days.

The USDA will even loan on bee hives but my banker never would.
Be patient. Why rush things?

 Nor could I get there with the time involved away from my bill
> paying job.

Time away from family is the bigger loss ( personal experience).

> Even with non bee related farming if you don't inherit land and equipment
> you can't afford it... heck a new massey ferg 60hp tractor with loader is
> $32k these days...

Work with another farmer or beekeeper with the equipment you need. Buy when
you make a big profit (helps with taxes) and rent (or borrow) what you need.
.
Years ago ( many many years ago) i was selling honey to a coworker and he
complained about the price. I asked him what he was going to do after work
and he said he was tired and was going to sit in his easy chair and watch
his favorite TV shows. he asked what I was going to do? I said bottle honey
to midnight to sell this weekend! He never complained about the price of
honey again!

Best of luck with beekeeping Doug!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison