From:
"From the Gussow's of Tucson,Arizona - Don't worry it's a dry heat!" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:56:20 -0700
Sunday, December 09, 2001
Hello to all and Mr. Lloyd Spear:
        I am surprised that someone in the woodenware industry has come up with a
better swarm trap.  One that would allow the standard deep frame to be
inserted into a 5 frame Nuke.  Something that would be made out of a
lightweight wooden material, easy to hang off the tree or be static and
easily serviced by a beekeeper.  I have gone around with this idea for about
six months now and the only thing I can really come up with would be
modifications of existing designs.
        While existing designs to work or economical to fabricate or purchase their
modifications doubled the cost.  This may be acceptable depending upon at
one entry point a beekeeper is prepared to sacrifice his time in
fabrication.  Here in southern Arizona most beekeeper supplement their time
by using paper mache swarm traps on Golf courses.  These devices are
difficult to camouflage and look ugly and unsightly.  While the employment
of this design is useful for the more experienced beekeeper who has the
skill it is the source only for those experienced beekeeper.  In and for the
fact that no one has equals skills in beekeeping I think a uniform be trap
could easily be fabricated.  It should lend itself to easy access to
service.  The handling of swarms can be dangerous occupational maneuver by
the inexperienced beekeeper.
        Some designs to consider it would be the five frame nuke with hardware that
would allow for some security and the ability to attach to a limb of a tree.
Easy access and serviceability should be considered in its design.
Turnaround time should be minimized after the transference of the swarm to a
standardized beehive.  Keeping in mind that the imprint of the old frames
will continue to attract the resident swarm.  We should consider this as a
standardized swarm control device that anyone can operate successfully.
        Swarm control is a necessity at this period of time in my location.  Since
the fear of God and being murdered in there beds are the general idea of the
citizens of southern Arizona of any swarm nearby their homes.  So it becomes
necessary for the beekeeper to do their best for public relations of the
industry to provide for some sort of swarm control.  Several beekeepers in
this area have made an excellent living of late providing services and
removing live colonies.  More than what they would make by being just
beekeepers.  While the diversity of swarms is sometimes looked upon in other
areas as mongrels the climate in southern Arizona, I. M. P. O. V., makes for
a successful strain of honeybees.  Since the climate is unique man cannot be
replicated as well in other areas of the country any swarm of any size that
is harmonious and successful over a long period of time is welcome.  Package
bees and untested queens from outside the area do not do well in this
climate.  The only sources of reliable honeybees are the swarms that Mother
Nature provides.  Any other supply is an artificial substitution for what
nature provides. ( I.M.P.O.V.)
        since I strongly believe in Darwin's theory of natural selection and I also
believe in microclimate as a factor in that natural selection the statements
above have some foundation in science.  Adaptation takes time to have some
beekeepers cannot afford to take.  This is my case here as I have very
little choices but to look for swarms within the local area.  This is solely
my opinion and not of other beekeepers in my area.  Since I make this
statement on my own their others who would privately agree but not
officially.
        Happy Hanukkah to all!  Thank you for allowing me to contribute to this
site.
Respectfully submitted
Harvey
Tucson, Arizona