From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:19:30 -0500
Jorn wrote:

> That's why it is recommended, to start feeding as soon as the last honey is
> harvested.
>
> Don't disturb the bees in the winter. You are likely making more damage than
> good.
Hello all,
In the interest of all new beekeepers reading the feeding discussion i
thought i might add a few comments.  Weather is the key factor in
feeding.  As Allen said capped Honey or syrup is the best when the
temperature drops.  The new large  swarm which started the debate would
survive quite nicely at my apiary.  I would have put the swarm on a full
deep box of sealed honey and pollen.  I have many of these from fall
queenless hives.  The honey from those boxes can only be used for spring
increase so why not.  Even with a old queen the swarm sounded huge(15
lbs>).
Although feeding is recommended as soon as honey is removed and was the
correct answer a few weeks ago on the TV game show "Jeopardy".  I have
to say from my experiance *not allways*.  I am leaving on a two week
vacation with the money i saved by not feeding early this year.  All
areas of the world is different and each years weather is different.
You need to understand YOUR weather patterns and fall floral sources.
Feeding early makes sure your bees will have enough feed for winter but
on a large scale feeding costs money.  I am proud to say that this year
my bees are heavy with winter stores from the fall flows.  I have only
had to feed very few.  Last year i fed one 55 gallon drum of 55%
fructose for every ten hives.  I used to catch and sell the fall honey
but with the arrival of varroa thats not possible with treatments
ongoing.  My rule of thumb (in the midwest) is to feed when feed is
needed. After the first heavy frost most feeding takes place.  Contrary
to popular belief bees will stay home many times and work those feeders
in stead of collecting nector from fall flowers.  One problem i have
found with heavy feeding too early is the lack of pollen stored.  We are
expecting the first hard freeze this Saturday. After the freeze we will
start fall feeding in earnest as the fall flow will be over.  I am sure
the methods and advice given by all the beekeepers responding to the
post is sound for their areas and good advice. Getting in on the last
part of such a long discussion is at times hard to follow so i went back
to the original post and reread all posts again.
In the midwest i don't have a big problem with opening a hive any time
the temperature is warm enough.  I have even adjusted a few frames but
only when the bees have fully broke a cluster. I am sure the above
wouldn't be possible in northern Canada but from Missouri south not a
big problem.
I will be in Florida next week(DeLand area) and Georgia week after
next(Atlanta area). If your club is having a bee meeting and you don't
mind a Missouri beekeeper attending direct email me the time and place
and i will see if i might be able to attend. I will be leaving within 24
hours from now Oct. 5,2000.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri