From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:41:25 -0700
This was a great message.  I have quoted most of the message and inserted a
comment a question.  I hope you will take the time to respond to this question.

.
.
.

>2.  Set up your split hive with one box, new frames and undrawn foundation.
> Pull three of the new frames out of the box.
>
>3,   Remove from your strong hive three frames.  One should be mostly honey,
>while the other two should have uncapped larvae and old capped brood.   Ther
>should also be lots of bees on the frames.
>
>4.   Inspect these frames for the queen.  When you are satisfied the queen is
>not on a frame, put it in the center of your split hive.  Group all three
>frames you took from your strong hive together.

It is easy to miss the Queen.  Perhaps this is an instance, especialy for
the beginner, not to look for the Queen at all.  Rather, place the split
over the strong hive with an excluder between and check for eggs 3 or 4 days
later.

>4a.  If the queen is on one of the frames you selected, take her off that
>frame and put her back in the strong hive from whence she came.
>
>5.   Install the three foundation frames you removed from the new hive as end
>frames in the strong hive you just split.  Close up the strong hive.

It has been my practice, in instances like this, although I would normally
not be replacing 3 frames, to place the foundation in the center.  My theory
is that this forces the bees to draw it out quickly.  Lately I have been
questioning this and your #5 raises the question again.  I wonder if I am
splitting the brood nest and hampering egg laying.  What do the rest of you do?

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada
(403) 998 3143