From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:44:19 -0700
> > Less than 5 % of beekeepers who use oxalic evaporate it
> > here."

> I use also the trickling method. It take's 1-2 minutes time per hive,
> and is safer...Take the lid off, count the frames with bees. Then
> trickle 5 Ml per Frame/bees.

For smaller operators, this makes sense, and seems to be all that is needed.

Over here, though, larger operators (500 to 10,000 hives or more) are
attracted to the idea of being able to treat each hive in a minute or less,
without opening hives, so evaporation is the method of choice.  Several
nearby beekeepers have been developing machines that evaporate the oxalic
and blow the vapour into the hives through the entrances.  See the pictures
for Friday 7 January 2005 at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2005/diary010105.htm,
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/cor.htm
and http://www.honeybeeworld.com/formic/

> I counted... from December 2 - December 15 the natural
> mite drop. December 15 the treatment. Counted 14 hives
> daily until Januari 31... visit my site.
> http://home.hetnet.nl/~kroese/  sub page "Varoa bestrijding"

They do, indeed.  Very impressive!

> (sorry Dutch language)
> But the numbers and the graphics speak for themselves.

I'm looking forward to getting a translation into English, though, since
Worldlingo does a terrible job, and babelfish is not much better.  My Dutch
friends are on the road, travelling East, AFAIK, so maybe you could
translate a few key words for us, like geisoleerde, Ramers, kastjes, zwerm,
heathland ...

I can guess, but I might guess badly.

Here is what bablefish makes of it. See (http://tinyurl.com/5wflc):
---
Of a part of my volken I the natural me at fall has counted firstly. This of
2 up to and including 15 December. On 15 December I these volken with 5 Ml
oxaalzuur have treated by occupy window. The number of occupied windows and
the number of administered Ml have been reflected below this table.
Noticing that this windows of double honey chamber format is. 29 Cm high,
therefore about 7 cm higher than normal simplex broedraam.
The first 7 columns is (high) geisoleerde 6 windows kastjes. The following 7
columns is (high) 10 ramers on  1 broedbak ingewinterd. The last column is
total, what which day, has fallen. This total has been reflected in 1st the
graph. 2e the graph reflects 7 X 6ramers. 3e the graph is 7 X  10Ramers.
(Table)
On 14-1-2005 I have 6Ramer No. 4  given because of the high me at fall in
sum, and the still daily fall, for test 2e a treatment of 30 Ml. This kastje
have occupied all 6 windows with bees. The 1st day after this treatment 26,
and the 2e days 34 at with regard to the total not much, but I have been
comparatively expected that there the coming days still what will come.
There are so far no disadvantageous impact see v.w.b. dead bees. They have
totally had ml in 2 treatments, however, 60.
On 18-1-2005 I have given 10Ramers 22 and 17 (extra ) a vaporisation. This
to be able assess treatment the effectiveness of the drop.
On 23-Jan. were the score respectively cupboard 22 =.35.1808 = 2% and
cupboard 17 =.82/2732 = 3% at.
cupboard number 17 is a large zwerm (dark bees) which I have created
previous year, and young laying Buckfast have introduced queen.  Me is
notable the large number of at in this people. One claims that a zwerm takes
along little at to!!  this zwerm had I perhaps after the moer lays, and
still open brood also with oxaal has had treat.
cupboard numbers  1,.11 and 7 are 3 of the 5 castes which have been to the
heathland. After the heathland they came at home with only 3 a 4 windows
brood, full with heathland honey in the broedkamer. They have now still a
reasonable number of windows with bijen(meer I had then expected) at these
volken was the natural fall rather high with regard to the fall after the
treatment. These volken have still old wreck.
6ramers have with regard to 10Ramers the low natural fall, and a high fall
after the treatment. This fall after the treatment apprehend also longer.
Perhaps comes this because these young queens have still what broods??
(graphs)
---

One thing that has not been resolved, in my mind, is exactly what the
dangers of oxalic acid are.  Some people make it sound like a drastically
dangerous substance in any amount, with any level of contact, and others
don't seem to worry at all, handling it like baby powder.  I gather that
dilute OA is widely encountered in our diet, and, assuming that a person
does not expose skin to the concentrated acid for an extended time, breathe
large amounts of dust, or get it into the eyes, that the risks may be
minimal.

Don't get me wrong.  I am NOT advocating carelessness or a cavalier attitude
to OA, but does anyone have the real info on the risks?

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/