From:
grantredshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:38:57 +1300
deknow said

> ...which to me reads, "at this point, we have no data or evidence to
> suggest that honey (even our honey with trademarked "factors") has
> anything to do with the effectiveness of manuka honey, but that it is
due
> to the presence of methlygloyoxal, and we also have no data to suggest

> that methlygloyoxal on it's own, or added to other honey wouldn't be
just
> as effective".

The key discovery in the Henle research is that methylglyoxal is
responsible for the non-peroxide or reliable anti-bacterial activity in
manuka honey. This factor is what has made the honey well-known for its
health benefits.

The paper also shows synthetic methylglyoxal is also anti-bacterial and
if added to common honey can provide the reliable anti-bacterial
activity. This is why Manuka Health has developed testing procedures
able to identify the difference between natural methylglyoxal compared
to "added" methylglyoxal in honey.