From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:19:13 -0500
The issue of bee movement when there are pests involved has been handled
in the past with both Varroa and tracheal coming into Maine. You had the
problem with transport from State to State and the States in between.
Government was involved, since the ones who worked it out were State Bee
representatives. It was done fairly amicably with inspections mandated
on both ends of the trips.

One or two States along the way forbade any stops for pollination but,
because the Feds regulate interstate commerce, could not stop the
transit of bees.

What I find interesting is the seeming desire of some Florida beekeepers
to use AHB for pollination. I cannot see growers willing to accept that
additional liability and the attendant bad publicity.We all may know
that there is some AHB in colonies coming to Maine, but not because they
are allowed but in spite of it.

Make it formal and good luck getting past Jacksonville, much less any
other Southern State. You would have the Feds move in and border
controls to keep AHB in check in Florida. CCD may be hurting beekeepers
and AHB may be a solution, but Public safety, perceived or real, trumps
CCD every time.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine