From:
Mark Coldiron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:43:55 -0600
I'd guess the Diatomaceous Earth would work by scratching the exoskeleton
and causing dehydration.  However, I'd have doubts of its effectiveness
after a rain of strong wind unless it was tilled into the soil.  As far as
the beetle's migration into the soil, I suspect that the soil must be within
a pretty narrow pH range.  Altering the pH of the soil under and around the
hive might break their life cycle.  Soda Ash is cheap.  A mix of Soda Ash
and Diatomaceous Earth tilled into the soil under and around the hive might
just do the trick.  Any thoughts?

West Texas Mark