From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 17:59:38 -0700
I'd like to have something cleared up if that is possible.  I hear talk about open mating the queens.  It is my understanding that the queens go to drone congregation areas different for those that the drones from the same bee yard (area) go to.  Am I mistaken in that understanding.  And, if they go to different congregation areas, how far away should the drone producing colonies be from the queen mating colonies?  From what I have read, most queen producers set up their drone yards at least 1/4 of a mile away from their mating yards, and some even a mile.  What is the concensus out there?

Dee Lusbe talks about using her own queens for requeening.  Dee, how do you set up your drone colonies with your mating nucs?

Mike in LA

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.