Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:59:29 -0500
>>I am not wrapping the hives this winter because with recent
observations I do not think the hives need wrapping.

Seems to me that everyone up here in Canada, who winters outside,
wraps their hives one way or another.  Your wintering in Alaska, and I
assume your winters are colder and longer than ours here in
Manitoba.  You are telling me that you are finding better results by not
wrapping?  My own opinion, is I don't beleive it to be true.  I assume
you have cold spells as we do, in fact I think our cold spells come from
strong Alaskian Highs.  I think the wrap is essential for the hives to
tollerate such long cold dry conditions.  And not all beeyards are
sheltered, wraps are critical against the cold winter wind on the hive.
Im new to beekeeping, 6 years in.  And learnt by trial and error.  I found
that in my beeyards, the unwrapped or poorly wrapped hives suffured
more losses, deadouts and small weak spring clusters.  My thoughts
are that the wrap is most effective in the late winter early spring period.
It buffers the colonies against the late winter cold snaps we
sometimes get when the colonies are starting to brood up.  I also
think sun heat absortion is very important.  I feel that it is nessicary to
allow the bees to lossen cluster to reorginize their stores.  I think it
allows them to prepaire for the next cold blast.  I will be watching for
your results, good or bad.
Just a note, I winter in two chambers, ~170lbs feed up with corn surip.
Hives wrapped with 4" fiberglass on sides and 6" on top, wrapped
with tar paper.  Works good for me, and managing cost about
3-5$/hive/winter

Ian