From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:21:33 +0200
1. In order to be fair with Jim Fisher, my response
about haz mat for formic acid was, I think, correct
for small scale beekeeping (those beekeepers who have
an unsignificant number of hives but are the vast
majotity). Common sense is that one should deal only
with small quantities of FA at a time, in particulary
with such a volatile and corrosive product. But when
dealing with full drums... this is another story. It
is not a question of PMRA by-laws then, it is a
question of compliance with (in Canada) LCPE (1999),
Loi sur le transport des marchandises dangereuses
(1992) (considere pesticides exemptions and special
exemptions  articles 1.15 and next) + provincial laws
and by-laws : (in Quebec) réglement sur les matières
dangereuses that will deal with storage conditions,
mitigation and prevention measures and réglement sur
la Santé et sécurité au travail that deals with H&S
exposure limits (equivalent by-laws in other North
America aeras, those I am aware of are all quite
similar). considering some anecdotes, I though it was
perhaps not bad to remember those points of
regulation.

It is ovious that drums can not be stored without
adequat ventilation, on-site eye shower, spillage
procedure, leak containment tanks under drums,
chemicals storage separations, labelling, register,
inventory, etc., etc. It is another game than my one
liter FA lab bottle locked.
With regard to liability, PMRA authorization or not,
employers are responsible for the working conditions,
for providing adequat protection and for informing
their employees of potential risks.

2. Impurities. I asked our company's lab supplier
about FA grade and metals impurities. They came up
with 3 grade but 4 qualities :
food grade (FCC), heavy metals < 10 ppm
ACS, 96% concentration, heavy metals < 10 ppm
ACS, 88% concentration, heavy metals < 5 ppm
Technic grade, 85% concentration, N/A

I understood that those limits are controled by a
colorimetric test, not really satisfying IMHO.
I am still trying to obtain C. of Analysis with
routine mass spectro methods.

Anyway, I would be agree with Robin and Jim: I do not
see how HM could climb in hives if FA is on towel
under the SBB. Melting point of all heavy metals
(except Hg, of course) are far under ambient
temperature, as well as for their main salts (but this
is independant from their weight, i.e. :
Cr, m.p.=1890C, M=52 g/mol while Pb, m.p.=327C, M=327
g/mol. In fact heavier metals Hg, Pb, Cd are those
which are considered more "volatile" because more
difficult to catch in pollution control...because of
their melting point). If one look in his favorite
handbook of chemistery and physics, one will also find
vapor pressure of those HM and their main salts at
different T,P conditions. I sincerely think the few
impurities will not evaporate with acid. Yet, one
could ask the same question about OA that is warmed up
for sublimation.

3. Why asking about the situation in another country
than mine while it is not my business? Because one can
easely feel that practice and by-laws in one place now
have repercussion in others. I think it is particulary
obvious in the case of acids in beekeeping. Each one
can feel the influence of others situation. And anyone
who ever made some lobbying or conducted public
consultations to pass a new by-law know what I mean.
Joy of our global village, isn'it ? It is not really
my business, but it is certainly ours.

Well, if you read until this point, you can really
bear my very approximativ English.

Hervé