From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 05:27:16 -0400
> [Plywood hives] do conduct heat pretty well...
> but not that much more than 3/4" pine,
> as determined by IR thermometer...
> Yes, I understand that the temperatures
> of the surfaces are not a direct
> measurement of conductivity.

I am reminded of one of my absolutely favorite units of measure - thermal
conductivity (useful for calculating the heat transmission through walls and
sheets of plywood) is measured thusly:

       BTU/hour/sq ft/cm/degree F

One would read this as "British thermal units per hour per square foot per
centimeter per degree F".

The sq ft is the surface area of the wall, and the cm is the thickness of
the same wall.

This unit of measure was perhaps the ugliest thing created by man until
Fairchild built the first A-10.