From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 08:51:16 PST
   A great deal of input has now been provided on the question of locating
a queen in a colony, but much of that input does not seem to me to relate
directly to the intent of the original question.

   My impression was that the original question refered to procedure (i.e.,
exactly what steps should one (particularly a newcomer to beekeeping) take
in sequence to best insure finding a queen efficiently?).  One season (many
years ago) I singlehandedly raised thousands of queens.  That work, of
course, required locating each queen quickly and without undue disturbance
to the colony.  The steps taken were usually as follows:

1)  Lift hive lid slightly and apply a very small amount of smoke.

2)  Lower cover gently for 10-20 seconds and then remove carefully.

3)  Remove a frame on either side of the hive body, providing room so that
one of the middle frames can be removed without undue disturbance of bees.

4)  Fairly rapidly scan each side of the removed comb -- often the queen
stands out.

5)  If the queen is not immediately visible, look for eggs.  If there  are
no eggs, there is a good chance she is not on that comb.

6)  Repeat the process sequentially on middle combs, gradually working to
either side of the hive body.  If eggs are seen, inspect the comb more
closely.

7)  If the queen is not found within a few minutes of applying this
procedure (after 4-5 central combs have been viewed), carefully and rather
quickly re-assemble the hive components and try again in a day or two.
Some things just cannot be forced.

And most of all, good luck!
                                                Adrian

* Adrian Wenner        E-Mail   [log in to unmask]  *
* Department of Biology        Office Phone    (805) 893-2838 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-2838 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-4724 *