From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:57:58 +0100
Hi Waldemar

Regarding trapezoidal frames...

There was another approach used in UK, have a look at...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/catenary.html

 > if there was the same cell size gradation in the vertical direction

At the time I made the original observations, I was not interested in
comb structure and sizing. I was actually looking at some colonies that
wished to build comb in a particular compass direction. I can say that
there was nothing unusual on the combs that were produced to attract my
attention, but that of course is not definitive.

> Dennis Murrell's description of the cell size gradation  in
 > natural comb

Dennis has opened my eyes to look more discerningly, the observation
that cells vary in size is easy to see (once you know it is there), but
inferences as to why it is done and how it affects the colony can not
yet be made.

> On such comb, bees raise more  smaller bees in the fall and spring
 > [influencing better hive pest removal at these critical times].

I do not see that the two statements are linked, how can you demonstrate
this ??

 > They raise more larger bees in the spring as brood rearing expands
 > [which may help secure a larger harvest...?].

Again, what equates larger bees with a bigger harvest ??

> a fairly narrow starter strip can be used in empty Langstroth
 > frames to encourage bees to keep the combs straight...

The strip or bead of wax can be quite minimal, see...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/cutcombbars.html

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)