From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:41:28 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/98 12:59:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I would be extremely greatful if somebody could either tell me how to
 bleach bee's wax or direct me to any books/info. regarding this
 subject.  People I have asked seem to be very secretive and elusive
 regarding this query. >>

   The most effective bleach is sunlight. If you run the wax through a solar
wax melter, it will be bleached considerably.  We have some candles near a
window, that have lightened quite a bit, as well. I like the mellow yellow of
cappings wax, so am not interested to bleach cappings wax myself.

    Dark wax from old combs can be lightened quite a bit, but never will quite
get white.

    A second way to bleach wax is with hydrogen peroxide. Heat the wax (in a
double boiler, or water jacketed container) along with water, a little vinegar
(to take the calcium from the water) and hydrogen peroxide.  This is not quite
as effective as sunlight.

    Another thing that lightens wax, though not really a bleaching, is to
remove impurities, which tend to be dark.  If you pour the water, wax,
vinegar, (and peroxide if desired) mix into a tall narrow, mold that tapers
outward at the top, the water will go to the bottom; the wax will float, and
the impurities will be mostly along the bottom of the wax. After it
solidifies, remove from the mold and shave off the bottom layer with the
impurities.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm