From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:01:05 -0700
Aaron Morris wrote:

I imagine that by the time varroa levels reach the point that they are
being noticed that they've been around for quite a lot longer, or put
more simply, by the time you start noticing them they're already firmly
established.  This is of course unless beekeepers have been doing
regular tests in order to detect the very first varroa mite to don a
kilt.

***********

   In our studies on Santa Cruz Island, we documented the fact that more
than two years elapsed after introduction before varroa mites killed a
single colony or had any severe impact on infested colonies.  Within a
little more than a year, virtually all colonies on the island had perished
--- even those colonies located miles away from the point of original
infestation.

   That is, once one notices the adverse effect of mite infestation, gross
counter measures, such as hive destruction, mean little.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

* "To cling rigidly to familiar ideas is in essence the same as       *
*   blocking the mind from engaging in creative free play."           *
*                                  David Bohm and F. David Peat 1987  *