From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 09:54:23 +0000
Paul Cronshaw, D.C. wrote:
> (snip)
> The hives did not appear to be in too bad a shape from an exterior point of
> view. 2 of the hives showed good bee activity, 2 portrayed signs of
> weakness and 1 had no activity.  The one with activity had died out and was
> developing early waxmoth signs.
>
> The 4 remaining hives were honey bound. (THIRD Problem).   Each had 2
> Apistan strips which in all probability were put in early Jan of this year.
> (FOURTH Problem)
>
> When the farmer saw all the honey he naturally wanted to extract it but I
> cautioned him about taking honey with the presence of the Apistan strips.
> We removed the Apistan strips and disposed of according to instructions.
>
> IMO, I am now face with these scenarios to help this farmer:
>
> 1. Extract the honey, and slowly feed back to the bees.  Reinsert the empty
> wet combs, giving the queen more space to lay.
>
> 2. Add another deep super and place the honey bound frames above the brood
> frames. It is a mild winter here in Santa Barbara and the Eucalyptus flow
> is in full force.
>
> 3. Do nothing and wait until early Feb when I can perhaps order some queens
> from Hawaii to make splits.

My suggestion (for what it's worth, being a northern beekeeper!):
1.  Bad plan.  Too much work.

2.  Not good either.  Bees often move honey around to make room for brood, and with another
free super, they just might move the apistan honey to the super.

3. Best plan, in my opinion.  With lots of bees and lots of honey in the frames, you will have
an excellent opportunity to make splits.  I would make as many as possible.  The new splits
should use up the contaminated honey before putting on supers, however.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA