From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:55:30 -0600
> > ... I was surprised to see an extremely light honey.  The honey
> >was lighter yellow than a manilla (sp.?) envelope.  Usually our honey is a
> >golden brown not the light yellow color.  The honey is also a milder flavor.
> >Greater than 90% of the cells were capped so I figure the moisture was right.

> >We have had a really mild winter an a  pretty wet spring this year.  Could
> >the extra rain have made the difference? ...

Colour is fairly closely related to the volume (amount and the speed) of a
flow.

On heavy flows, the honey tends to be very light -- almost as clear as
water - often much less than 15mm on the Pfund grader .

On slower, lighter flows, the honey is darker.  I understand that this is
due to picking up more colour from combs in the hive.  I guess on faster
flows, the same amount of pignment is spread over much more honey.

Some honey -- such as that from the kind of buckwheat that is grown in
northern areas -- does have a dark colour regardless of the volume of the
flow on which it is produced, and I do not know whether this colour comes
from the nectar or whether the nectar undergoes colour changes in handling
by the bees.  Pure buckwheat can be well over 100 on the Pfund grader.
(The best grades look like used axle oil and smell like a hog barn).

Allen