From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:36:10 -0500
>All I can say is that if one insists on using whole supers of new
>foundationt, one is asking for trouble if an excluder is used, unless some
>brood is raised, and ventillation minimized too for that matter.  Not to
>say that whole supers of foundation cannot be drawn, but rather that the
>results are unpredictable, especially if it is attempted by beginners (and
>beginners are usually the only ones who attempt it other than comb
>producers). Drawing whole supers of foundation reliably takes some skill
>-- and luck.

I am assuming you mean drawing whole supers of foundation DURING SPRING
is difficult.  Just to clarify, we put whole supers of foundation, Plasticell, no less
(to those who think the bees "just won't touch it"...;)  over an EXCLUDER during a
good honey flow, and the bees drew and filled them.  But the colony I specifically
remember doing this was a Buckfast overflowing with bees, so that may be a part
of it.   So many variables to consider...

We normally use excluders because we don't want brood in the honey supers.  We
have found that the wax moths tend to prefer comb that has had brood in it.  I think
it may be safe to NOT use an excluder if there is a wide enough band of honey at
the top of the brood chamber,  since it is said the queen won't cross the honey to
lay.   Anyone have some comments about that?

Just my 2 cents....;)

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 6 colonies and counting