From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:25:34 -0800
Hi,

S.M. wrote;
> Now if you take small cell comb, and fully regress the bees, then
let them go to natural comb/foundationless, you do not get an "natural
enlargement" they remain small cell EXCEPT in the far far north like
Alaska.

Scot you are correct, Packages of  ("Small Cell Bees")  from southern locations when put on a foundationless system in my location (South-Central Alaska), draw worker brood comb out in the area of 5.1mm to 5.2mm. That in itself is much smaller than 5.4mm to 5.6mm that some beekeepers use if using wax foundation. Plastic foundations being in the range of 5.2mm really is not to far off and does give a beekeeper who has some drawn out a tool to use in regressing. This you may have to take as anecdotal presently because of the short active season up here there is not much time where bees are drawing worker cells, I will continue adding foundationless or starter strips to brood nests and measuring comb to see where bees up here settle. Still it is no doubt to me that bees do want a smaller cell than is normal in the industry be it plastic or wax foundation.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA