From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 20:12:43 +0700
> some of us don't
> have access to the University library. There is no point in telling
> us to look up an article in a magazine which we don't subscribe to.
> No... I can't afford to subscribe to all the mags.

Anybody on good terms with even two or three people in the bee
business in most countries - and more than a very casual interest -
can get his or her hands on almost any recent (and many not so
recent) copies of Bee Culture or ABJ.

These are, I believe,  the esoteric and very rare publications about
which this matter began. Although may not be in many University
libraries, they are likely in a nearby beekeeper's bookshelf.

> So.. I repeat, a
> brief precis giving the authors view would be benifcial to all. I'm
> sure the author, provided the contents, contax, etc are not changed,
> wouldn't mind.

Well, what I think people are (too politely, perhaps) trying to hint
is that they *do* mind having someone demand they precis an article
of little interest to them for someone who is unwilling to get up and
get it for himself.

And if the author him/herself is being addressed, I am sure that it
is a little insulting to be asked to give the whole carefully
prepared piece in a few words.

Most here believe they are subscribed to a *bee* list for discussing
matters relating to bees, not the basic and well established methods
of researching and studying.

I am sure if *anyone* is having genuine dificulty obtaining important
info, or if material is at all hard to obtain, the list will bend
over backwards to assist.  On numerous occasions the scientists and
extension people here have mailed me very helpful information.

People will give as much or as little info as they wish - Many very
knowledgeable people sit and read and never post at all - we're
privileged if they do.

Let's bee content with taking what is offered freely and not begin to
demand that others serve us only according to our own tastes.

And let us get back to bees...  OK??

"Fearing not that I'd become my enemy - in the instant that I speak"

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>