Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:21:35 -0800
> If I had/have my way organic beekeeping would be ZERO treatments and NO
> artificial feeds,

This is a motherhood issue, and not just for 'organic beekeeping' whatever
that might be defined to be.  No person among us, except maybe those working
for chemical companies, wants to have to treat or feed their bees.  The
simple fact is that most, unless they are independently wealthy, very lucky,
or just plain foolhardy, have to compromise and do one, the other, or both.
Sometimes, at least.

> I admit I am hardheaded also, promoting linebreeding more and more, and
> modified outbreeding to acclimitize colonies back to local/regional living
> again.

In that point, you seem to be pretty mainstream, if I understand your
somewhat idiosyncratic wording.

> On this I will not give in for in looking at what is happening I cannot
> see any better long-term solution. I see no problem with small to normal
> sized beeyards of 10-60 hives in a given area, but I do see a problem with
> large staging areas as done in wholesale large migratory outfits to the
> detriment of the honeybees so put there fwiw.

Again, nobody -- including those who cannot figure out any better way to get
the job done -- will disagree, but sometimes it is necessary.

> Further, honeybees set up in colonies mimicing nature do not swarm as seen
> today in most beekeepers yards

Bees that are strong swarm if the conditions merit.  That is how they
reproduce.  Bees that are weak, usually don't.  I recall having seen a swarm
in one of your yards on one of my visits in January, BTW, and it looked like
a pup swarm...

> with hodpodged comb positioning, but that is something many here should be
> aware of by now with pov from me too.

Does anybody who makes a living from bees or science give this any credence?
Has anyone done a controlled study?

> As fpr large percentage of colonies dying each year............well: it
> goes in cycles and for the most part the colonies are healthy and strong
> if let to grow up from tonka toys size used as standard hives today. But
> in saying this where drought and fire and other come into play problems
> can arise for 1 to 3 to 5 years and you learn to roll with the bees

Yup, that is beekeeping all right.  Some people still make a very good
living, usually by adapting to and exploiting events, rather than fighting
the trend.

>  following them and help without overdoing, which again to me means no
> treatments or artificial feeds in hives, for stores can be moved around
> manually and is nothing hard for clean beekeepers to learn,

I think you are saying that people need to do things the hard way and -- for
principle only -- avoid measures that are proven to reduce effort and risk
when used judiciously.

> for if I can do it going on 62 as a poor old beekeeper woman then see no
> problem with the men.

Some may wish to follow your example, but most do not.  Many consider it a
dead end and have pointed this out to me. Others see it as the future.  Who
is right?  Only your accountant knows.

> Recently it was said I was not commercial but yet I keep about 700 hives
> and anticipate increasing this coming year.

Yes, I said that.  I also said that I think you may be the world's biggest
hobbyist.  700 hives and increasing is a mighty big hobby farm.

One thing you have never revealed -- AFAIK -- to your acolytes or here, is
the economics of your operation, specifically the return on capital and
labour, and the long-term operating profit situation, and that, in the end
is the most important feature in any enduring business.  (Commercial
beekeeping is a farming business, or it is not, by definition,
'commercial').

From what I have seen, most followers are not too practical or knowledgeable
in business matters, but an enterprise that burns capital is not very
promising for someone planning to invest time and savings into it, and can
hardly be recommended to those beekeepers who are currently making a profit.

> Haven't made much honey this year
<snip>
>It is just so terrible.
<snip>
> I have bees, they are strong and looks great for next year
<snip>
> So been working coloines back up and is it a sustainable commercial model?

Only if you can get a positive cash flow and return to capital and labour
out of it, averaged over a past five-year period.  That is the acid test.

> Well I am property zoned 100% commercial agric, have all those bills to
> pay making no money

I am truly sorry to hear that.  I wonder what it would take to turn a
profit.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Lusby/
---
Drive thy business or it will drive thee.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)