From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 09:12:19 -0400
Greetings,

After five years in the ground, it looks like I will get a decent crop of apples from the trees I planted.  There are not many trees, just a Zestar, a Honeycrisp and a Macoun, along with a couple of ancient apple trees that far predate my arrival (one being my 'swarm-catcher').  Had a small crop of apples last year from the Zestar and Honeycrisp, but they were inedible, due to insect attack.  Without spraying, there is virtually nothing edible on the older trees, so it looks like, if I want apples, I have to spray.  I also have pears and plums, but the critters, at least the insect types, seem to pretty much leave them alone.  Anyway, the line of trees is only about 100 ft / 35m from my hives, and I am concerned about what to spray, when to spray and how often.  Directions on the one container of fruit tree spray I bought years ago for another property showed spraying pre-bloom, at petal drop, and pretty regularly thereafter.  Seems excessive to me.  I assume (always dangerous) that to minimize damage I would spray on calm days without wind and that I could spray in the evening, after the bee activity has diminished.  But, what to spray?  The UNH Cooperative Extension has a publication on spraying for the home orchard, but does not make any pesticide recommendations ("Read the label").  I can buy all-in-one sprays, but was wondering if there is a preferred treatment in the vicinity of bee hives.

I know a number of beeks on this forum also have apple orchards, and I would appreciate any advice on what to spray and what cycle to use, when bees are kept in the area.  If I have to sacrifice apples for bees, so be it, but it seems there should be some kind of balance that can be worked out.  A search of the archives did not turn up much.

Oh, we are about a week past petal drop, and I am in northern New England.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Bill
Claremont, NH