From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 05:56:13 -0400
 Deanna wrote:

"Failing that, is it accurate to say that CCD is characterised by:

the presence of a live queen.
the presence of a small number (less than a handful) of young live workers.
the presence of capped brood
the presence of bee bread/honey food stores in the hive.
the absence of live or dead older house and forager bees.
that in cases where a hive has died out, there is noticably delayed invasion by
other robbing bees/ants/wax moth (by a number of weeks/months?)"

With that definition, my bees have had CCD twice: one hive in the early 1990s where there was a dozen or so bees, a queen, brood etc and no robing despite it being the wasp season. The second time was about 5 years ago. I rescued the queen for use elsewhere and she did fine.

Chris

htm