From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 07:04:10 -0700
> Judging from the recent postings, I gather in Canada
> >wrapping is a common practice.   I suppose there is a "wrap line", north of
> >which wrapping is advisable.   Any thoughts as to where this line is?
>
> It would seem that line is about 50 miles north of Toronto. Talking to
> Toronto beekeepers they don't wrap but here in the snow belt we do.

Toronto is always warm because of the huge poulation and when it is
snowing in Markham, it is often raining in TO.

I bought some bees (125 hives) down south of London (ON) area some
20 years ago.

They were wintered in singles - standard or jumbo.  The hives were
placed in wintering boxes, a sack was placed over the top bars and
wood shavings were shovelled on top.  A large wooden lid covered
all. The lower entrance was all they had - a tunnel led out to a
slit opening.

The bees were absolutely beautiful and we could not find any dead in
March when I first looked at them with the owner (BIll Glen).

I also looked at some bees down further towards Niagara and the owner
also wintered in similar boxes.  Perhaps the climate has changed over
the years and this is no longer necessary, but it was the norm even
that far south in those days.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>