From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:04:07 -0400
Hi Dave and All:

>Look at some of what we think we know about the mite and cerana.  <snip>

That was a very interesting list of adaptations in a. cerana.  I was
surprised that they do not seem to have any grooming behaviour (I am
ignorant on this topic).  A posting to the bombus-l (by Diana Sammataro if
my memory serves) noted that when bombus colonies were artificially
innoculated with varroa mites they chewed the legs off them.  She said that
the sound of the chewing was audible to the observers (that would be nice :).

>but I would be tempted to change the mite not the bee.

Given the list of adaptations you mentioned, I might agree.  But if we could
develop bees with a grooming adaptation it might even have other benefits.
It would seem to me that this is not far outside the realm of possibility,
as bees *do* groom themselves, and on occasion they groom others (if they
are sticky, for example).  Maybe we have to change the mite to make it taste
better :) .

I wonder if the reason that bombus has this ability and a. cerana doesn't
(despite its long association with the mite) is size related.

Regards, Stan on Prince Edward Island where there is now a new bridge about
12 km. long for the varroa infested bees to fly across.