Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:57:25 +0000

I would wager that these beekeepers don't test.  If they would test, and
systematically, they would determine the risk and there would be no issue
about "insurance" and they would find the counts drop in spring
spontaneously.

Sorry Don,  I should have been more clear,  that was in Regaurds to toslin/terramycin etc.....I would suspt fumigillian also in some cases.
Your probably right in most cases.  but I would bet at some point they did,  and I know these guys run litterally thousands of big health hives.  We as hobbiest think were pretty sharp,  but when someone has 10k hives to manage and spend more on these items than we make in a year,  who do we think we are?
Its real easy to be sideline experts, armchair quarterbacks, and seasonal experts.  And as such we read a paper here and there,  and proclaim we know they are wrong.  But if we seriously ponder it on a deeper level,  we shold know better.  Most of us have an industry where we run into those know it all experts  why are not as sharp as they think they are.  I am sure as a Vet you see it a lot,  Every one of us should reconize it.  I see it here in beekeeping.   Hom many TF experts do we all know?
While there are the "hacks" (inside joke) who kill bees and cry constatly,  there are many more who import Tackit and now other things,  that have figured out the keys to big healthy hives.  Now we come along and say  "nope"  not unless you pony up for an expert opinion.  never mind Bee vet experts dont really exist.  Gota pay the piper.
Your in a different spot.  You can make that call and decide for yourself.   The rest of us just got hosed.  depending on location  its at least 100$ plus meds to even get cosideration.  probably closer to 200 based on what most vets are charging these days.   Quite the ripoff on the small animal side. (large animal vets tend to be great to deal with) IMO.
No offense,  but its hard to be in any real support of another tax on us.  Make no mistake  thats what this is.   The effects of over medication by beekepers were not merely as potentialy bad as the effects of never treating.   I will bet in 10 years we will see more AFB and EFB moved around than we do now.
Going into that cathouse we call CA for almonds?  a lot more enticing when everyone had there penicillian.  Now  that game is changing.
I do realize that most here and around the country say "so what"  I dont do almonds....  So they could care less.   Dont forget where those hives in your area have been  probably 90% of the packages and nucs  come from bees that are going to that big party.
I hope I am wrong....  maybe the rule breakers who import tackit will get other stuff.  I do suspect it will be a few seasons  as most of them stocked up with supplies prior to the ban.

Charles