From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:46:04 -0600
Well I would suspect they would be brooded up more than the others.  You
will have to split more than one to see if that's the case.   The problem as
I have it (not in SC) is too many bees to far into winter.  They eat all the
stores.  So I don't want brooding up until pollen should be steady  which
for me means patties late Jan early Feb.  If pollen is coming in and bees
are flying Dec would be fine.  Randys test started in OCT if I am not
mistaken.   He also reported Jan pollen.  We have pollen in Feb  but the
bees are to cold to forage.

I would be looking close as to how much stores they have left,  most hives
starve at the end of winter, not middle, but you know that better than most
of us.

SC is full of beetles,  but that doesn't mean your hives were so its just a
caution.  As for center of brood or top of box,  to the beetles it doesn't
matter.  The question is do they lay in the winter in SC?  Here in IL the
beetles stop laying  I sure wouldn't let beetles stop feeding,  just keep an
eye on them.  Beetle slime will stop bee feeding.

No easy answer as to what you should see.  I am just spouting thoughts.  At
this point you did it...  Tell us how it looked, I am very curious myself as
to how they respond.

Charles