From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:54:45 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, BRIAN HENSEL <"[log in to unmask]
"@metro.net> writes
>Hi everyone.
>    Can someone help me with a problem I am having with my hive?

>Everything I
>have been able to find in books and the Internet say to use Fumidil B.
>for the prevention of Nosema, but nothing about what to do when they
>have Nosema.If anybody can give me some tips on what I can do to get rid of the
>Nosema problem I would be grateful. I think that they just did not get
>enough Fumidil B. What can I do if they won't take enough syrup? Is it
>OK to mix Fumidil B. with grease patties?

It's good to see some sentiment out there, hope they pay you back! Can I
start at the begining? Fumadil B is a soluble (ish) salt of an
antibiotic and can be added to syrup, which is usual, or candy or honey.
Each colony needs 166mg (a dessertspoonfull!) which in a sugar syrup is
14lbs/7pints. It's dilute because the bees don't seem to like it. The
anitbiotic prevents the protozoan attacking the gut epithelial cells but
has no effect on the spore stage. I'm sure you could work it into a
candy but don't heat it over 49C(120F) and maybe a patty is worth a try.
*It does not prevent Nosema.*

It will only hold the disease (the manufacturers say 'protects') and you
must move the bees onto clean comb as soon as you can, the spores remain
viable for between 1 and 3 years and unless you remove them you will
always have a problem. The 'dirty' combs can be re-used if you sterilise
then in a closed stack with 80% acetic acid for 48hrs and then let them
air. Don't use formic, its tricky. Acetic acid won't harm honey or
pollen stores but will damage metal and (hooray) wax moth. It is
operating good hygene that really 'prevents' nosema and that's one of
the reasons I view beekeepers who don't change combs with scepticism.
(No offence yo'all). The other thing always worth doing is to check you
have Nosema and not dysentery, you can check by looking for the spores
in the (crushed up) abdomens under a microscope (x40).

As you know when the bees are confined and void in the hive it is
quickly spread. The reason I have posted this to the group is that I'm
wondering if the use of an open mesh floor would help at all. Climate
permiting, could you use a mesh floor in the winter to reduce the amount
of excreta the bee's have to clean up and help the holding exercise ?
--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,