From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 06:21:01 -0800
>But nosema is considered by some to be a serious contributor.  It is also a

> fungus of a type (microsporidian).

Absolutely true, Stan!  But the mode of invasion by nosema is entirely
different than that of the external fungi, and not affected by the behavior
of grooming, which is what is affected by imidacloprid.

And yes, nosema infection may be increased by exposure to imidacloprid,
although the study that you cited, and all others that have looked for a
correlation, give mixed results.  The other thing is that any effect upon
nosema by any particular pesticide must be put into perspective--only one
study that I can think of tested more than one pesticide, and none compared
the effects miticides or plant alleleochemicals.  Without such a context,
it is difficult to put any potential nosema/imidacloprid interaction into
perspective.

BTW, Nosema ceranae does not need any pesticide to be a problem.  I cannot
recall any field study to date that suggested a link between nosema
infection and neonic exposure.  I'm not saying that it couldn't happen.
 But I am suggesting that if it were a predictable phenomenon, that it
would have been easy to spot by now.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA