From:
alan keith hiscock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 14:51:11 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
> My first experiences with marking queens was with ordinary fingernail
> polish.  I marked about three queens and watched them systematically
> pulled to pieces before I decided the method was not what it was
> cracked up to be...
>
> About 10 years later, it was pointed out to me that the solvent
> (acetone?) is very similar chemically to the alarm pheromone.  (Now that
> I've repeated this story for another 10 years, can someone confirm that
> is in fact the case???).

             I believe that the honey bee pheromone consists of
isopentyl acetate ( isoamyl acetate) and to a lesser extent
2-heptanone as well as many minor constituents. At one time
isopentyl acetate was used in nail varnish remover and no doubt
many other products containing organic solvents. 2-Heptanone is
in the same chemical family as acetone, but is probably
sufficiently different to have little or no alarm effect. There
have been stories, probably apocryphal, of hair sprays provoking
bees to sting the unfortunate person. I would interested to hear
of any stories of common products stimulating bees to sting.

Alan Hiscock      Northumberland, UK.