From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 05:34:27 -0300
Hard to say what HFCS (bee feed) prices will settle at as the corn is
> harvested.

I have booked two tankers of liquid sucrose for this fall.  The price of
sucrose is actually down.  Brazil had a good harvest of cane.

I didn't even price HFCS, since already last year there was little
difference from sucrose, and sucrose is *supposedly* better feed (not sure
if I see much difference as long as the HFCS is good quality).

But the companies making HFCS would have to be careful raising their prices
IMHO because many other users besides beekeepers could go back to sucrose.

Sucrose broker told me Brazil might start sending cane sugar to keep
America's ethanol plants operating.  You would think it would be cheaper to
just send the ethanol (Brazil has the manufacturing plants).  But nothing
about ethanol makes much sense, it is so distorted by job providing and
subsidies.  Meanwhile the truly renewable energy sources, like wind and
solar are not getting any help (production tax credit on wind is expiring)
and laying off workers and shutting down plants.

To relate this to the current thread on GMO:
GMO has the potential to create some important solutions for our globe
(drought resistant crops,  maybe nitrogen fixation ability in grains
....).   But who the hell can trust it when the research is being done by
chemical companies whose interest is in selling chemicals.   And who can
trust the safety checking when it is the same companies funding that.   We
need the research and safety checking to be done by the public sector and
publicly funded university research.  Capitalism is the source of much
evil.  Bees show us another way.   Venceremos

Stan