From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 14:21:00 GMT
<>From: "Kevin R. Palm" <[log in to unmask]>
<>Date:         Sun, 23 Apr 1995 18:22:46 -0400
<>Subject:      Hiving packages in cold weather?

<>Dear BEE-L'rs,

<>        I have a problem.  I live in Northeastern Ohio, near Cleve-
<>land, and the tenmperature tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be
<>in the 40-50 degree range with occasiobnal rain, possibly snow,
<>but no accumulation.  I'm supposed to get a package of bees from
<>a member of our county beekeeper's association who is bringing them
<>up from tyhe south.  I'm picking them up tomorrow.  Is is possible to
<>hive a package of bees in this weather??  The queen is going to be
<>a Taber (sp?) queen.  If I can't hive them immediately, how long will
<>they stay alive in the 3# package??

<>        Thanks for the help!!

Hello Kevin,

That's the best time, as far as I am concerned. The bees will cluster up
to keep warm, and will not fly and drift away the first day they get
out. I have put them in the Rockies when its was trying to snow. One
season I put in 500 over a period of a few day's with snow showers.
I thought at the time I would lose them all and it turned out to bee
the best packages I ever installed, I did not use the few extra queens
sent with the packages that season.

   It was cold enough to put them in early in the afternoon. I dumped
them on the bottom board, ripped the screen off the queen cage and
dumped her on top of the pile. I would do 10 or more and then go back
and put the frames back in. I did not poor sugar syrup all over the
bee's because of the cold weather. All the hives had inside feeders
to get them started on the dandelions.

                        ttul Andy-

PS Yes it was a miserable job, but one with excellent results..I only
   dream about such good conditions now.