Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:06:30 +0000
Richard Drutchas wrote:

> Harry you made my evening (its a long winter)I thought Ive heard about
> every Christmas story but giving bees candy for the holidays is a new
> one on me, thanks. Back to the"big kill" I hope somebody writes a book
> about this, it probably could be done right from the bee-l archives. Ive
> heard bees died because:it was a bad winter, the strips didnt get in
> early enough, not enough strips, home made remedies that didnt work, bad
> corn syrup, the virus, too much too little too late, whatever it was and
> please someone correct me if Im wrong Canada didnt get the big kill
> apparently because they had a quarantine that slowed the march of the
> mites. Now was it worth it, to some yes to others no, weighing that one
> out is beyond me but it does appear that presently they are benifiting
> from the lower 48s misfortune in that tracheal mite resistant strains
> are now available and some hopefully adequate chemical controls have
> been worked out. I realize we are discussing a couple different
> questions here first should Scotland try to restrict the movement of
> bees to that I say I dont know your situation. Here in Vermont we did
> and I believe over all we benifited. The southern breeders and package
> producers wouldnt agree with that but ask them if New Zealand should be
> allowed to send bees to the States. A different situation of course but
> it illistrates that we all have to look out for ourselves dont we. Now
> should New Zealand expose thier bees to the rest of the worlds scurges,
> I cant see it, my god they are actually working on eliminating AFB, goes
> to show there are some benifits to being an island. I hope this thread
> is carried on perhaps its been unraveled already. Im new to this
> internet. One last thought, have skunks been eliminated in Europe and if
> so what did it, rabies. RickDear Rick
It seems that you have quite a mess over there.  I am still not sure why these diseases spread so quickly.
What are package producers?  I don't think there is a big trade in bees in Britain (someone will probably
correct me here!) I live in the Highland Regeon of Scotland and I will be surprised if I ever see a Varroa
mite in my hives.  I suppose that is what all those people with the dead bees said!!!
There are no skunks over here except in a place we call *Parliament* and that is hoaching with them!  There is
no rabies in Britain and in Europe the disease is carried by foxes but has been controlled over the last few
years using a vaccine
harry