From:
Myrl Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2016 17:01:11 -0500
Christina,

If a previous post flattered, this one may not.

I get very perturbed over blanket statements that bee habitat is disappearing or that the sky is falling in regards to nectar availability. I'm very familiar with your part of the country. May I suggest stepping away from the campus, away from the proclamations of others, and taking a short road trip. Drive South a couple of hours and take a right turn to the West, now travel hours and hours - one will discover hundreds of square miles of reclaimed coal country. Plantings, wildflowers, bushes, shrubs, wild berries, and trees. Black Locust - in some areas this spring, one could stand on a mountain top - white as far as the eye could see. One should book rooms, this road trip will take a couple of days, and then only if one heads home before moving south into West Virginia - Kentucky. These areas are dotted with successful sideliners commanding and receiving premium prices for their honey - it appears if one reads seeking news, completely under the radar. I have an old high school classmate commercial operator just a bit South of your location. He's a bit of a recluse and keeps it that way. To describe the situation -- chuckle, chuckle all the way to the bank. Yes, he's a very talented beek.

Without a doubt, the times are changing. Some beekeeping commercial models will pass, others will take their place. The Finger Lake's region clover and buckwheat bonanzas are gone. Fruit revenue can be fickle. The blackened coal regions are recovering. Scorched earth housing subdivision is a disaster, but I know Ithaca - there are some very bee friendly populated areas. So it is most everywhere.

We should be applauding success stories and concentrating on distressed areas rather than perpetuating "Chicken Little" type proclamations