From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 12:55:30 -0400
>>Maybe they should read the whole thing

> When the original post was presented no indication was made that it contained excerpts of the warning statements.  I was just posting a query as to whether the omission was intentional or a mistake.   It was in no way presented as a detrimental statement nor to cast aspersions.   I am sorry if my post caused hard feelings as that was not my intention, rather a quest for clarification.

I am sorry if I was too impatient. I have access to all this publications and others don't. I am always ready to pass on whatever information I have where it is not prohibited by copyright laws.

By the way, it is pretty clear to me that using formic acid out of the barrel to kill mites is not really legally approved. No licensed pesticide operator would be permitted to do it (I know, since I was licensed for a time in NYS).

The loophole is that farmers, beekeepers, homeowners, etc. are not required to be licensed. All the same there are other laws that forbid the introduction of non-approved substances into the hives, but these are not routinely enforced.

So really, beekeepers are on their own in most cases, and most probably make good judgements. However, it is widely known that many beekeepers use vile concoctions and this gives honey a bad name.

Better to avoid anything off label. Demand good products, and support the makers of these products. My $.02

PLB