From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2013 08:31:13 -0700
>So we can only discuss the big issues?

Don't be ridiculous!  Most on this List appear to mostly wish to discuss
small issues.  At the recent Honey Bee Health Summit, pesticides were well
discussed, but in the context of the most serious issues facing honey bees
overall, they were down the list.

> If you are ranking the impact, then you have to consider the amount put

> into the environment.

And why is that?  In California, the amount of the sulfur, petroleum oil,
and mineral oil applied to crops dwarfs the amount of any other pesticides
applied, yet no one mentions them.  The reason is that the amount applied
means little--it is only the impact that is significant.

> which other insecticides are you thinking we should focus on?

The ones most associated with adverse effects reports by beekeepers; the
ones for which residues are most frequently found in beebread; and the ones
for which field-relevant exposure is clearly associated with colony
morbidity or mortality.

>Just the impact of seeding dust on beekeepers in Ontario obviously has them
> mad about pesticide kills to an extent that I do not recall in the
> recent past.

And I don't blame them!  I've stated again and again that planting dust
from corn is an open wound to beekeepers and needs to be addressed.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA