From:
Jonathan Kriebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:40:21 -0400
"... In early spring the brood is in the top half of the full depth and the
upper medium..."

So you have two Mediums and a deep for Winter?  I am interested in the comb
honey production method you discussed.  I have four Sue Cobey NWC queens
coming tomorrow.  Two are going to re-queen hives (as in my boogered split),
and the other two are for "nucs" I plan to make from knocking down a hive
for comb production.

"...
I got the idea when producing comb honey.  The only difference there is I
usually remove the medium and use it to start another colony and then place
the Ross Round supers (which almost acts as a QE) above the full depth.  The
queen rarely goes in the comb super..."

I have three deeps on one colony (they got honey bound before I was able to
pull frames, and insert empty ones).  This was an extremely strong hive last
year, as I got 60# of honey from them, and they started as a package.  BTW,
it seems I have a champion hive this year too, as they are already on their
2nd super.

Anyway, I was going to pull the extra deep from that colony and use it (and
a few frames from other [healthy] hives to make two new hives.  I was going
to partition off deeps, as I don't have any nuc boxes made yet.  But this
would seem unnecessary as I should have enough frames to fill out the
box(es).

But back to the comb issue.  I plan on putting the RR super onto the hive
after I pull the deep.  Any suggestions?  Ron, you are nearby, how's your
honey flow?  My only concern about comb production is the 800 or so acres of
woods surrounding us.  I put in a few acres of clover last year, but worry
that the bees will be predisposed to propolise the RR supers, and make a
general mess.

"... Don't have kids.  If you can't avoid that, don't have daughters.  If
you still can't avoid that don't let them get married at the same time of
EAS..."

She's six, and her brother is four.  But being an at-home dad makes the same
effect.  No EAS for me either.

Jonathan B. Kriebel
Das Sauen Õhr Farm
3229 Zepp Rd.