From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:20:36 -0600
> >Just a few weeks before this meeting, in discussion with Michael
> >Housel, of Orlando, Florida, I  received information concerning
> >proper positioning of wild feral combs

> Let me get this straight, you heard about this idea in August, turned
> all the backwards combs around and a month later you say that "combs
> in backwards" is the source of most of the problems beekeepers have
> been having over the years?

As I understand history, moveable combs and foundation have been in
widespread use for about 100 years now.  At the time that foundation was
introduced, quite a few guesses were made about what would work and
compromises were reached.  The convenience and obvious benefits of the new
system led to quick adoption and foundation use became almost universal in
developed countries.

The fact that frames and foundation created an opportunity for
manufacturers to make a profit sped the process, since equipment
manufacturers happened to own and operate the major bee magazines.
Advertising and the profits from sales supported the publications and drove
the adoption of the new products.

Those who have been looking back over history have been wondering if, in
the process of development and promotion of foundation, some important
information was overlooked and if some of the compromises made had more
importance than was thought at the time.

Dee has a way of rooting out some really interesting ideas.  Whether or not
we agree with her or reach the same conclusions, there is much to be
learned in discussing these points.  Perhaps we will be convinced, or maybe
we will just confirm our own current beliefs.  Most of us won't jump in
with both feet.  We'll probably sit back and watch a while.

No matter.  In the process of examining these contentions, we will learn
more about what we are doing and how the decisions made a century ago
affect our own day-to-day beekeeping.  Lets look at all these ideas and see
what we learn.  Michael's discovery may or may not prove to be significant
when examined by beekeepers throughout the worldwide scope of this list,
but IMO, it is something to respect and ponder.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/